Plain Language for Professionals is an entirely online course. It takes approximately 10 weeks, assuming a minimum of one exercise per week. Each exercise takes 20-30 minutes, depending on skill levels. By completing exercises this way (and using them at work before moving to the next one), the participant gets the benefit of Practice Over Time. There are no manuals, CDs or DVDs to purchase in order to complete this course. The course is self-directed and on demand. Participants can begin at any time. Plain Language for Professionals is designed to improve these skills:
- Compose clear and concise copy
- Use quality grammar, spelling, sentence structure and tone
- Customize writing methods for diverse audiences
- Structure effective, professional content
- Differentiate between appropriate and inappropriate material
- Become a competent communicator and problem solver
There are two types of learning activities in Plain Language for Professionals:
The Writer’s Workshop (text-based writing exercises)
Download the lesson, complete it, and upload it to The Language Lab for assessment and correction. Where one to one feedback is appropriate, a Language Lab editor will e-mail comments to the participant.
- Five assignments deal with plain language writing problems
- Focus is on writing etiquette, principles of effective writing, appropriate use of copy writing methods and dealing with sensitive content
Two types of assignments involve:
- Correct a faulty document
- Compose a plain synopsis in response to a complex scenario
The Grammar Checkup (multiple choice exercises)
Exercises take place online, and feedback is provided automatically after every answer.
- Five multiple-choice assignments that deal with language rules
- A focus on correct grammar, sentence structure and word usage
- Topics include writing concisely, precise language, wordiness and redundancy, subject/verb agreement, punctuation, verb tenses, etc.
$495 for a 10 assignment course is the total cost for Plain Language for Professionals. There are no other charges or expenses to take this course. The course itself can be taken any time, and is available 24/7. The Language Lab requires full payment in advance. Click the Buy Now button to begin.