Letters That Work is an entirely online course. It takes approximately 10 weeks, assuming a minimum of one exercise per week. Each exercise takes 20-30 minutes, depending on skill levels. By completing exercises this way (and using them at work before moving to the next one), the participant gets the benefit of Practice Over Time. There are no manuals, CDs or DVDs to purchase in order to complete this course. The course is self directed and on demand. Participants can begin at any time. Letters That Work is designed to improve these skills:
- Compose letters that are clear and concise
- Understand the importance of tone in written communication
- Use correct grammar, spelling, and sentence structure
- Write an effective introduction
- Review correct business letter format
- Ensure that you write for your recipient
- Differentiate between appropriate and inappropriate content
- Know how to sequence the content of your message to enhance readability
There are two types of learning activities in Letters That Work:
The Writer’s Workshop (text-based writing exercises)
Download the lesson, complete it, and upload it to The Language Lab for assessment and correction. Where one to one feedback is appropriate, a Language Lab editor will e-mail comments to the participant.
- Five assignments deal with email writing problems
- A focus on letter writing etiquette, principles of effective writing, appropriate use of letter writing functions, dealing with sensitive content
Two types of assignments involving:
- Correcting a faulty letter
- Composing a letter in response to a given scenario.
The Grammar Checkup (multiple choice exercises)
Exercises take place online, and feedback is provided automatically after every answer.
- Five multiple-choice assignments
- A focus on correct grammar, sentence structure and word usage
- Topics include writing concisely, precise language, wordiness and redundancy, subject/verb agreement, punctuation, verb tenses, etc.
$475 for a 10 assignment course is the total cost for Letters That Work. There are no other charges or expenses to take this course. The course itself can be taken any time, and is available 24/7. The Language Lab requires full payment in advance. Click the Buy Now button to begin.