Business Writing That Works is an entirely online course that offers a diversity of learning contexts, in which to hone communication skills. It takes approximately 10 weeks, assuming completion of one exercise, per week. Assignments are designed to develop email, letter, and report writing skills. Each exercise takes 20-30 minutes, depending on skill level. By completing exercises this way (and using them at work before moving to the next one), the participant gets the benefit of Practice Over Time. There are no manuals, CDs or DVDs to purchase in order to complete this course. The course is self-directed and on demand. Participants can begin at any time. Business Writing That Works is designed to improve these skills:
- Compose clear and concise communications so readers are able to quickly gather information
- Know how to structure the content of your email, letter or report to enhance readability
- Ensure content is relevant
- Include key structural elements for each type of communication
- Use correct grammar, spelling, and sentence structure
- Ensure that you write for your recipient
There are two types of learning activities in Business Writing That Works:
The Writer’s Workshop (text-based writing exercises) (needs screenshot example) Download the lesson, complete it, and upload it to The Language Lab for assessment and correction. Where one to one feedback is appropriate, a Language Lab editor will e-mail comments to the participant.
- Five assignments that deal with email, letter or report writing problems
- Focus is on principles of skilled communication, e.g. use of headings and bullets, dealing with sensitive content, grammar, sentence structure, and style
- One-to-one feedback provided for each assignment
- Two types of assignments involve:
1) Correcting a faulty communication
2) Composing an email, letter or report, in response to a given scenario
The Grammar Checkup (multiple choice exercises)
Exercises take place online, and feedback is provided automatically after every answer.
- Five multiple-choice assignments that deal with language rules
- A focus on correct grammar, sentence structure and word usage
- Topics include writing concisely, precise language, wordiness and redundancy, subject/verb agreement, punctuation, verb tenses, etc.
$495.00 for a 10 assignment course is the total cost for Business Writing That Works. There are no other charges or expenses to take this course. The course itself can be taken any time, and is available 24/7. The Language Lab requires full payment via Paypal. To begin, click the Paypal button.